- Laura is named a Gifted Citizen! 30 selected globally out of 1700 applications!
- Tonny and James featured on the UWA website
- 2 new publications added!
- Tonny Kinene attended the Science Protecting Plant Health Conference in Brisbane, Australia.
- Laura featured on the UWA webpage for World Food day.
- ECU in Western Australia wrote about our cassava virus action project.
- Laura attended women in STEM lunch at UWA
August- September 2017
- Exciting two months!
- The team was featured on the Western Australian science news source Particle!
- Laura traveled to Brazil to visit Bruno and Renate and gave 3 presentations.
- Laura and Joseph Ndunguru attended TED Global in Tanzania and gave two workshops on the future of food security they also met Sauti Sol!
- THEN we launched the epic new project to bring Nanopore sequencing to E. Africa!!!! Cassava Virus Action Project!
- We then traveled to Oxford where we gave the Nanopore team a presentation on the project!
- And we stayed London and were featured on the BBC World News GMT and also BBC radio.
- Featured on the TED Fellows Blog!
- Collaborative work with the Cassava Disease Diagnostic team featured on CNN!
- Article on the future of HPC in Australia.
- Laura and collaborator Sunadda put on "Workshop on Whitefly Vectors of Plant Viruses" at the Department of Agriculture in Thailand.
- Whiteflybase updated and re-ran analyses of the Manani, et al. 2017 publication.
- Laura speaks at "Feed the Future Event" at UWA
- Sarina features Laura at her "Night of notables" at Scarborough Elementary, Perth Australia.
- James Wainaina's paper published in BER
- Laura attends the first ever Senior TED Fellow Salon in NYC.
- Laura visits Borman Middle School in Phoenix, Arisona to encourage young women in STEM.
- IWS3 is happening in Perth 16-21 September 2018.
- Myriam Rodrigues graduates from UWA!
- Laura gives a seminar at St. George's College formal dinner night.
- James Wainaina's greenhouse whitefly paper accepted to BER!
- Stephen Lamb joins the lab to do his honors degree- he is a pure mathematician who will be finding better ways to analyze Nanopore sequence data.
- New paper out with Professor Ateka and Duke Manani out cassava whiteflies in Kenya!
- Laura featured here
- Anders updates the whiteflybase dev blog.
- Laura is invited to the United Nations/University of Denver bootcamp to end extreme poverty by 2030.
- James attends Taming the Beast Workshop in New Zealand
- Laura and collaborator Monica attend nanopore sequencing camp in Melbourne.
- Laura gives an invited talk at Lorne Genomics.
- 2016 was a great year for our lab! So grateful to the funders and collaborators who inspire us to work for farmers!
- Completed field season in Uganda.
- Laura attended The Atlantic Dialogues conference in Morocco
- Collaborator Prof. Laura Kubatko is featured on the OSU site!
- Everyone in the lab takes a break!
- Monica Kehoe makes the most EPIC video of our last trip to Dr. Ndunguru's village in Mbinga Tanzania. See it here.
- Laura attends the Cassava Disease Diagnostics BMGF annual meeting in Zambia.
- Laura and Tonny Kinene attend & present research at the International Congress of Entomology in Orlando, Florida
- Laura attends the International Entomology Leadership Summit in Orlando Florida
- Professor Renate Krause-Sakate from Botucatu, Brazil visits the lab!
- Sunadda Chaovalit from Thailand is visiting the lab to learn Molecular Diagnostics!
- Laura presents at the Western Australia Insect Study Society- Utility of DNA barcoding to identify insects.
- Tonny returns from the Workshop on Molecular Evolution.
- Laura and James go to the 2016 UWA Faculty of Science Rising Star event and pass the baton to the next winner!
- Featured on the Crawford Fund webpage for our training on whitefly identification with Prof. Elijah Ateka (JKUAT, Kenya) and The African Prisons Project.
- Laura attend the TED Summit in Banff, Canada to discuss cassava whitefly research with the global TED community
- Jeanine Umfuyisoni, MSc student from Rwanda visits the lab to analyze her CBSD data.
- Lab hosts 5 young scientists
- Laura gives a talk at Microsoft in Perth for the Australian Computing Society
- Laura's TEDxPerth talk is LIVE!!
- Delivered MacPro to Mikocheni Agricultural Research Institute in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Conducted Capacity Building in Bioinformatics Tools for Species Identification at JKUAT in Nairobi with Prof. Elijah Ateka- Funding from Crawford Fund!
- Cassava virus and cassava virus training at Kamiti Medium Security Prison in Kenya with the support of African Prisons Project
- Team presented at the Pawsey Roadshow
- Our paper on rates of evolution of Cassava brown streak virus is now on BioRxiv!
- Cassava Warriors- an article and video written by UWA research and innovation office!
- An article written in the lead up to Laura's Pint of Science talk here.
- We welcome undergraduate exchange student Ammar Ghalab from University of Alberta to the lab for 3 months.
- Boykin lab took an epic trip to Tanzania and Uganda for an entire month. Visiting smallholder farmers, collecting whiteflies and delivering 2 bioinformatics training courses at MARI in TZ and NaCRRI in UG (a few pics below)
- Entire lab presented research at the International Whitefly Symposium in Arusha, Tanzania.
- An article written in Scientific Computing World magazine here.
- Our conversation piece on how we see the work in W. Africa on Ebola will help us fight the cassava viruses in English here and French here.
- Plus we welcome Bruno De Marchi to the Boykin lab who is doing a sandwich PhD from Brazil. He will be studying the whitefly genetic diversity in Brazil.
- Associate Professor Elijah Ateka from Jomo Kenyatta Agriculture and Technology University visited us for 3 weeks! We hunted CBSV/UCBSV whole genomes.
- Laura B. gave a talk at TEDxPerth.
- Updated Feature on the TED Blog here.
- Professor Laura Kubatko visiting the lab from Ohio State University
- Jamisse Amisse, PhD student, visiting from Mozambique
- James Mushayija visting from Rwanda as part of the African/Australia CRC Plant Biosecurity Program read about his visit here.
- Article from UNM
- So excited our joint paper on the deadly cassava viruses is out in PloOne!
- Featured on White House Blog on Laura's recent trip the the UN.
- Solutions Summit UN feature
- Honored to be featured as one of the '12 Badass Women in Science" on Medium. The photos below.
- Our local paper in Perth wrote a story too.
- We were on the ABC 7pm news on 12 October! Here is the story.
- Gizmodo article about our work.
- Podcast Solutions for cassava.
- Laura was selected to attend and present at the United Nations Solutions Summit as part of the UN's adoption of the 17 Global Goals to ending extreme poverty- ideas blog article.
- Lab attended the Australian Plant Virology Workshop.
- Featured on the UWA Students Facebook page
- Featured in the Scientific Computing Blog
- Attended the TED Fellows Retreat in Asilomar, California. Conducted a workshop on "Navigating Academia".
- First prize at the Rising Stars UWA Faculty of Science event (pic on the right)!
- Solomon Maina successfully presented his PhD research at the CRC Plant Biosecurity Annual meeting on the Gold Coast, Australia.
- Tonny Kinene's MSc. research on Cassava Brown Streak Virus has been published.
- Featured on the Change Maker UWA Alumni webpage.
- Excited to be featured by Cray, the supercomputer giant, see the article here: http://www.cray.com/sites/default/files/CS-Cray-Pawsey-XC40-Whitefly.pdf as a case study for the CrayXC series.
- James Wainaina successfully presented his PhD proposal seminar on his work to control Bemisia tabaci species on common bean in Kenya! Yay James!
- Solomon Maina successfully completed his PhD proposal seminar.
- Tonny Kinene has arrived from Uganda to begin his PhD studies supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Successful EMBL PhD Bioinformatic session completed with special guest Dr. Jen Taylor from CSIRO and Dr. Kat Holt from Univ. Melbourne
- Dr. Titus Alicai, Principal Research Officer (Plant Virologist)/Programme Leader, Root Crops Research Programme, National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO), National Crops Resources Research Institute (NaCRRI), Kampala, Uganda is visiting the lab for 3 weeks!
- Featured on Wired.co.uk one of the TED Fellows changing the world in 2015.
- James Wainaina has headed to Kenya to collect whiteflies in W. Kenya.
- Very excited to have the African Cassava whitefly research highlighted on the TED blog!
- UWA News article about team S'tawi found here.
- We are excited to announce that our latest exciting project, Whiteflybase has been announced as a finalist for the 24th annual WAITTA INCITE Awards. Our project has been named a Student Award finalist in the Undergraduate Tertiary Student Category, and winners will be announced at the event on June 19, 2015. This premier industry event has been hosted by the WA Information Technology and Telecommunications Alliance (WAITTA) since 1991, and aims to recognise outstanding performance and contributions made by members of Western Australia’s ICT community. For more information on the WAITTA INCITE Awards you can visit their website on the following link: http://www.inciteawards.org.au/. Congrats Team S'tawi!
- TED2015- Featured on Medium as "11 Up-and-Coming Scientists You Need to Know".
- I gave a talk at TED 2015. The experience changed my life.
- See an article written by the executive editor of Scientific American about the research: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2015/03/23/the-science-of-ted-2015/
- Inception meeting in Uganda for our BMGF African Cassava Whitefly Project.
- Trip to Tanzania and Uganda.
November - December 2014
- The Pawsey Petascale Bioinformatics was a huge success! Thank you to my co-chair Rebecca Hartman-Baker for the team work.
- Solomon Maina will be arriving from the Biosciences of East and Central Africa (BeCA, Nairobi, Kenya) Jan. 2015 to start his PhD on viruses in N. Australia.
- Launch of http://www.whiteflybase.org.
- Co-organizing the Pawsey Petscale Bioinformatics Symposium, visited CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences, Canberra, whitefly mtCOI database nearing completion.
- It has been a very good month- 1 paper published, 1 paper accepted, and James Wainaina is coming to UWA to start a PhD with me in Jan. 2015!
- Amazing trip to Nairobi, Kenya for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Agricultural Connections Workshop (pictures below).
- Very excited to be heading to Kenya in June to take part in the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Agricultural Research Connections Workshop.
- Research highlighted in University of Western Australia's energy and minerals institute newsletter.
- Paper accepted to Pest Management Science: Polston, J.E., P.J. De Barro and L.M. Boykin. 2013. Transmission specificities of plant viruses with the newly identified species of the Bemisia tabaci species complex.
- Presentation on food insecurity caused by B. tabaci to the All Arizona School Retirees Association (AASRA) Westside Unit. Phoenix, Arizona.
- Paper accepted to Pest Management Science: Boykin, L.M. 2013. Bemisia tabaci nomenclature: Lessons learned. Pest Management Science. Dec. 2013
- Great meeting with Maimouna before she heads back to Zambia. Hopeful for our CultiAF grant to come through.